Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default How close is close enough...

"Garage_Woodworks" .@. wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
I might try to get it closer but some times measurements can deceive or
may not be done accurately. Sawing technique can often render
measurements useless.

So why not eliminate the 'sawing technique error from the equation when
calibrating the fence?? Hmmmm.

That would be my point. I am indicating that measuring will not always over
come techique and when you are talking a visible or invisible joint line the
technique problem may be so small that it could involve dozens of factors.
Including but not restricted to, is your table flat, is your stock perfectly
straight, are you working with soft or hard wood, is you blade "sharp", is
the surface of your table smooth, and the list goes on.

Use some scrap wood, make a frame and ask yourself, is that good enough?

This won't do it. 'Sawing technique error still there.

It certainly does it for me. Because we are not machines there will always
be some degree of imperfection with every cut. Measurements only get you so
close and if you were able to obtain the perfect setting your technique will
always add some degree of error from one cut to the next.