Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
KLS KLS is offline

Default Do you like "warm" lights or "cool" new ones?

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:47:22 GMT, Husky
wrote:

I prefer the bluer daylight versions myself, but for your outdoor
security lighting, consider small 35W halogen reflector floods. I
illuminate my entire back and side yards using four (two in each
fixture) motion detector flood lights equipped with these, and they are
plenty bright enough, can be aimed DOWN, away from the sky, and last
well over a year on the motion controls. You definitely want whatever
you install outdoors to be a controlled illumination pattern. No sense
wasting power to light the sky, or the neighbor's property, and
contributing to light pollution.

This is advice I agree with: I'm using a single halogen reflector
floodlight to illuminate most of my backyard, and the light stays
within the yard itself, not flooding over into the neighbors. The
first bulb in ours lasted 4 years (just changed it back in November),
and it was turned on and off frequently each evening by us and the
dogs.