Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How close is close enough...

On Apr 22, 12:56 pm, "Leon" wrote:

Use some scrap wood, make a frame and ask yourself, is that good enough?

I couldn't agree more with everything Leon said, not the least being
to try it out to see for yourself.

You are talking about making a wooden device that you think will hold
tolerances to within one 0.0078125th of an inch. Think about it; a
wooden jig that will hold completely true through humidity changes,
temperature changes, techniques differences, movement of the sled in
response to different weight, density and size of material, etc.,
etc. Not happenin'.

Don't cheat yourself For dead bang spot on, buy a calibrated miter
gauge.

Or... just use your miter saw. I for one have never understood the
folks that have to use their tablesaw for everything from precision
miter work for small pieces like building picture frames to making
raised panel doors.

Maybe its just me. I could see it on really large pieces I guess, but
even then... how often does one need a miter on a 12" board?

Robert