Posted to rec.woodworking
DCH[_2_] DCH[_2_] is offline

Default How close is close enough...

"Leon" wrote in
:

"DCH" wrote in message
8...
Greetings all...

I have been constructing a new crosscut sled, and the thought came to
me, how close does this need to be to make nice joints...

Instead of using a square I cut the sides off an 8" square of birch
plywood, I then ripped a strip off the first side and measured the
difference with a dial caliper, and over 8" there is less than 1/128
difference, but that would be compounded over 4 cuts right?

So would you guys try to get it closer of just leave it as is?

I might try to get it closer but some times measurements can deceive
or may not be done accurately. Sawing technique can often render
measurements useless.

Use some scrap wood, make a frame and ask yourself, is that good
enough?

Keep in mind that opposite parallel sides must be exactly the same
length also or even perfect 45's will not close properly. Use a stop
to insure same length "opposite" sides.

its kinda funny....but I was able to get it almost perfect, within a
needles width on the dial caliper, I would think that would be close
enough, but last night I had painstakingly straightend and squared the
bit that would become the main fence and after all that I managed to
install it with the wrong face to the saw....after switching things
around my test cuts came out much better....