Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Ceiling Fan -fan switch troubles

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:03:26 -0400, "Ron P"
wrote:

Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out. I have a hunter
ceiling fan with a seperate fan and light pull chain. My better half pulled
the chain out of the fan switch, it was a 3 speed switch high, medium, low &
off. I went to the depot and bought a new switch, it was a four wire switch
so I bought the same thing. On the old switch, the wires were in the
following slots: L = black, 1 = grey, 2 = brown, 3 = green. So, I wired
the new switch with the colors into the same numbers. (However, the numbers
were in different locations on the switch.) I started the fan and the
switch now switches with each pull as high, high, high, low then it repeats.
No off or medium. I pulled the switch out and I matched the colors this
time to the same location from the old switch, L stayed in the same spot.
Reinstalled and it still goes high, high, high, low. Depot doesn't have any
other 4 wire switches, so how do I get this thing to work right? Thanks!

Sounds like the switch is bad.