Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Rewiring a Vent/Heat/Light unit in bathroom

On Apr 22, 2:43*pm, N8N wrote:
On Apr 22, 1:12*pm, wrote:

I'm in the process of replacing an existing Vent/Heat/Light unit in my
bathroom. *The old wiring setup on this system seems odd to me.

The previous installer is running three Romex wires to the unit.
There is a two gang switch controlling (with one double switch).
* * * * One wire holds the Neutral and ground (other wire is clipped), coming
from source junction box.
* * * * Another wire is holding two feeds from the switch (the ground is
clipped).
* * * * The last wire is holding one feed from the switch (the other wires
are clipped).

Here is my question:
* * * * Due to new location of the new unit, and existing cable size, I need
to extend the two feed Romex cables coming from the switch. *Hence, I
need a junction box to extend the lines. *The issue is, if I use a
metal box then shouldn’t those wires be grounded to the box?
Normally, I would say yes ground the wires to the box. *However, the
would there be in grounding them? *Another solution is to use a
plastic junction box (which is legal in my town), to avoid the
grounding issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Raj

The whole thing is incorrect, you should be running one cable from the
switch box to the unit. *Since that is not possible given that you
have three different functions in the unit (unless someone makes a
12/4wg cable?) that is, vent, heat, and light, do any of these
functions have their own neutral? *If that is the case then you should
run a separate cable for the light, say, as a 12/2 w/ground, and then
another cable 12/3 w/ground for the vent and heat. *Neutrals should be
connected to each other at the switch box but NOT in the v/h/l unit.
this way the currents in each cable will sum to zero in the absence of
a ground fault. *All grounds should be connected together and to the
box at all locations.

You will have to run new wire from the switch box to the new location
to be code compliant.

good luck

nate- Hide quoted text -

What N8N describes is essentially what I did, except that there are 2
additional lights in the bathroom.

There are 3 switches on the wall - one vertical, the other 2
horizontal.

The vertical switch is wired to control the light in the heat/vent
unit as well as the 2 other recessed lights via 14/2wg romex. (The
lights are on the load side of the GFCI outlet since one recessed
fixture is above the shower stall.)

The horizontal switches control the heat or vent via 14/3wg.

The top horizontal switch controls the vent, because the vent pulls
air up, the lower horizontal switch controls the heat because the heat
blows down.

Anal? Did I hear someone say anal?