Posted to sci.electronics.repair
EADGBE EADGBE is offline

Default Amplifier Problem - ***SOLVED***

Good News!

This headphone amplifier has been REPAIRED and is now working
perfectly.

Here's what happened:

I have been taking parallel measurements between the "good" and "bad"
channels since the beginning.

I took voltage measurements, resistance measurements, tested ALL
capacitors, and tested ALL transistors.

But someone in my original thread (I can't remember who offhand --
sorry) did mention checking the circuit board traces.

"No need," I thought. "The circuit board and all solder joints look
fine to me."

But in a fit of desperation, I nonetheless decided to whip out a
tester I hadn't used yet: my magnifying glass.

That's when I found it -- a *microscopic* crack in the trace between
the emitter of Q208 and its adjoining 3.3 ohm resistor. The crack was
so incredibly tiny that I easily overlooked it--repeatedly.

I took one of my jumper leads and clipped one end of it to Q208's
emitter and the other end of it to the 3.3 ohm resistor.

I then took voltage measurements. EVERYTHING WAS NOW ON SPEC:

Q205's collector now measures +7.09V, and Q206 now has the following
measurements:
B: +6.51V
C: +7.08V
E: +5.84V

I was able to bridge the crack with a well-placed solder trail, and
the headphone amp now sounds great.

A BIG "THANK YOU" TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME OUT! I OWE YOU BIG TIME.