Posted to rec.woodworking
Fred the Red Shirt Fred the Red Shirt is offline

Default Trashing This Forum - Can It Be Fixed?

On Apr 21, 10:39 pm, Larry wrote:
"Upscale" wrote :

The only possible solution I can think of is for a whole
bunch of us to flood the poster's "contact us" email
addresses, telling them to buzz off from rec.woodworking.
One of these days when I'm bored enough, I'll gather a
master list of those websites and post them so everybody
can cut and paste them in one shot for a mass emailing.
Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a shot.

They have botnets on their side. You can't win that war...

It would be trivial for ISPs to detect the bots on infected PCs
on their networks and cut them off. The reason they don't, is
that they would be cutting off paying customers.

Back in the days before there were ISPs on the internet, system
administrators acted responsibly to curb abuse issues and
had the support of their management as the abuse reflected
badly on the reputation of the online entity, (typically a
corporation,
university, or government agency). Now termination of an abuser
costs the online entity revenue and so typically an ISP abuse
department, even if they have one, is forbidden to terminate
customers unless they don't pay.

--

FF