Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

George Grapman wrote:
Jim Chandler wrote:

George Grapman wrote:

Cydrome Leader wrote:

In rec.crafts.metalworking George Grapman
wrote:

Three simple solutions:

Ask for their contractors license and immediately verify it. A
legitimate firm will be glad to oblige.

While you are asking for than information write down the license
plate on the truck.

Pay by credit card.

be sure to give your credit card info to scammers.

If you give them your credit card you have recourse to (a) dispute
the charges and (b) disallow anything than ran up on your card. Give
them cash and there is nothing you can do.

Besides which, most travelling scammers won't be equipped to handle
credit card transactions.

Jim

Actually some itinerant scammers have developed ways to accept credit
cards. They have learned that having the Visa and Mastercard logos give
them credibility.

Damn! Is
NOTHING sacred? :-) Had I thought for a moment I would have realized
that with the wireless stuff that's available now for things like gun
shows, ets. it wouldn't be too hard to have it.

Jim