Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Surprising increase in truck MPG

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:25:53 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

Since I don't think anyone has mentioned it, while going around the
various esoteric possibilities - perhaps a sticky brake or e-brake has
unstuck?

The comments about not-very-good methodology for measuring consumption
are true.

Another reason for not running the tank all the way down is the good old
condensate in the fuel tank issue - far better to fill the top half of
the tank than to let it run all the way down in around-town short-haul
driving simply for that reason, with or without the fuel pump happiness
as another reason (and the water resulting may be part of fuel-pump
unhappiness).

Going back some 60+ years, a great uncle used to fill up the Model "A"
(the car I took my test on) every time he went to town because he
liked to use it off the top, OTOH the neighbour's mother would only
give him 25 cents for gas for the '29 Durant, so that he wouldn't get
very far if he got lost or decided to run away on her.

I've gotten mileage that bad, but with a one-ton crew cab 4wd - and it
would do better than that on the highway.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada