Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_2_] John R. Carroll[_2_] is offline

Default OT- Mandatory Overtime

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:42:36 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

California is an "At WIll" State. I can fire someone if I dislike as
much as the color of their socks.

And yet it gets accused of being so lefty. That's what I get for
engaging in stereotypes, I guess.

Wait till the fired employee takes John to the Labor Board.

Been there/done that. When the letter came I called the number and then
faxed over a copy or the Emps signed "AT Will" employment agreement. These
sorts of agreements aren't legal in a lot of States but there isn't a single
instance of a case even going forward once the legal precedent had been set.

The down side is that if you invest heavily in an employee to educate or
train them, they can take your training and leave anytime they wish and
don't owe you a dime.

Then you will see just how far left California really is.

LOL
For what it's worth, California has a couple thousand offenders in jail long
past their time served release date.
You'd think, having served their full sentences that they'd be released but
they aren't. This too has been tested in the courts and affirmed.

Gunner who hired and fired as a senior management type in a company
for 18 yrs

You shouldn't have been allowed to do so until you'd been preperly trained
and advised. Guys like you are the reason many otherwise legitimate
employers have been put out of bussiness. I'm sure you meant well and did
your best but your boss made a big mistake.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com