Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default OT- Mandatory Overtime

"Roger_N" wrote:

As many have suggested, I'm paying off debt as fast as I can and my
financial situation is looking pretty good for now. I should have no debt
payments except house within a year. But I have diabetes, take insulin
injections, and have about a 45minute drive each way to work. So I'm not
confident that I can go a year at 48-56 hrs per week without any sick
days...

I wonder if having diabetes puts you into a protected class of worker? At
least I think you could make a good case for unemployment benefits if your
employer fires you for cause such as missing too much work.

One thing to consider is if you do get fired, you need to maintain group
coverage under cobra. As long as you continuously maintain health
insurance, the next group plan can't wiggle out saying pre-existing
condition.

When the company I worked for 22 years failed, I kept a catastrophic policy
through blue cross blue shield which is the carrier of last resort, until I
secured a new position with health insurance. IIRC, it wasn't terribly
expensive but it did have high deductibles. One calamity can wipe you out
w/o insurance.

As far as the 45 minute drive, I do that every day. Mp3 player, podcasts!
No stop and go, just distance.

When a company cuts pay to employees, it is in desperate straights, the
normal thing is to slow down on increases, shift more co pays for insurance,
eliminate benefits. Forcing an actual pay cut is a very bad sign. I would
proceed with the thought that this job is not going to last long and start
looking for a new position elsewhere. You only have the make a decision to
leave after a job offer you like is secured.

I wish you well Roger,

Wes