Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Please recommend hand tools brands

01dyna wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:51:47 -0500, dpb you wrote:

How picky are they in accepting them? Require receipts, throw out cases
of what would obviously have been abuse, etc., etc., etc., ...?

..in another life, I worked part time at a local True Value. Their
policy is, if it's broke, replace it. No receipt is required.

That's good, I've not had any of theirs so just checking it's same or at
least similar...

Sears has a track record, not so sure how the others' stands up in
comparison is all...

...what track record is that? That they will replace a defective
and/or broken item? They're not unique in that market, just the best
marketing.

That was the subject in question and marketing or no, they've been at it
far longer than T V or much of anybody else that I know of. _That_
track record of continuing the policy for something like 40 years or so
now...how long has T V had their policy in effect?

Craftsman/K-Mart are now one and the same FWIW.

Not a thing in this context...

The point is, for a hand tool that would meet the objective of OP,
there's no doubt Craftsman will do the job at a reasonable price point.

..I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion. Just because
Craftsman has a "no questions asked warranty", that doesn't mean
they're better, or even good. Personally, I'd rather buy *really*
good tools over one with a great warranty.

There's no "jumping" to a conclusion whatsoever wrt Craftsman _hand_
tools about them being serviceable for the type of service OP requested
tools for. That, and that only, is the point of any response I've made
in this thread.

Whether your choice matches that of the OP isn't the question here.

Working on something that *must* be fixed *right now*, doesn't give me
the warm fuzzies when a critical tool snaps on me and I have to drive
across town for a (free) replacement. I've had three Craftsman box
wrenches and two socket wrenches crap out on me. Murhphys Law, it was
a Sunday evening and the local Sears store was closed. Fat lot of good
a replacement warranty did for me then.

Well, I've used a lot of Craftsman wrenches in very difficult
circumstances and can say have never managed to break one, even w/ the
hammer and/or cheater trick. You must be lucky that way, and I suspect
if the local Sears was closed on a Sunday evening odds are pretty high
your local T V was closed as well. Sometimes stuff happens.

There may be others w/ the combination of variety, warranty and value
that meet or come close; if so, recommend them. There's no reason to
try to denigrate Sears/Craftsman in the process--in this case its
unwarranted.

I already did mention one. You tried to discredit it by inferring that
their warranty isn't a good or as flexible.

I did nothing of the sort -- I simply asked for clarification as I've no
experience w/ theirs...

...Hey, if you're partial to
Craftsman, knock yourself out.

I'm not particularly partial to Craftsman, no...I stand by the original
recommendation to OP for his purpose, however.

apparent you have a soft spot for them to defend them so blindly.

I'm not defending them any more than I think your attacking is
unjustified for the purpose stated. I realize it is usenet protocol to
jump Sears, Wally-World, BORGs, etc., at a drop of the name, and where
justified I'll climb on board, too. In this instance I don't think it's
justified is all. You took a question for a personal attack, apparently.

Me, I like to keep an open mind.

Incidentally, if Craftsman were *that* good, you'd see more of them in
professional mechanics toolsets but you don't. They have to use those
tools *every day* and time down running across town to replace a tool
is money lost. Snap On tools are some of the *best*. MUCH more
expensive yes, but some day, I'd like replace everything (except my
Proto socket set), with Snap Ons.

I've Proto stuff inherited from grandfather and father that is clearly
far superior to anything Craftsman made in finish, etc., ... OTOH,
there's some Sears stuff of the same vintage that is every bit as
serviceable if not quite as pleasing to touch.

This is working farm so tools are one of the life blood items...