Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton Engine Problem

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 05:36:49 -0700 (PDT), Manjo
wrote:

How about checking around the head gasket for leaks. I had a lawnmower
engine that exhibited a similar problem.- Hide quoted text -

I know it doesn't do much good, but I did do a visual check of the
head gasket edges. Nothing unusual, but I'll check it with some sudsy
water today. I lent out my leak down tester (I hope to get back soon)
so I had to use a standard cylinder compression tester. I got
consistent readings of 74 psi with a warm (not hot) engine. I think
this is a good reading since it's a small cylinder, unlike an auto
engine cylinder. Manjo

If you did have a leak at the head gasket; you might hear a slight
whistle sound with the engine running. A blown gasket and I doubt the
engine would run, as the power combustion goes out the passage/leak.