David W.E. Roberts

Default Can't turn hot water stop tap!

"Snowman" wrote in message

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

Sounds like a gas tap to me as well! Assuming you are certain that it's

water tap(!) you could try spraying every evening for a few days with
WD40/PlusGas or whatever. It has (occasionally) worked for me in the

past.
Then get brutal, but if it turns a little turn it back and then forward
again, then back etc., Make sure you can drain the system quickly.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Yes it's definately water - at least it stopped the water last time I
managed to turn it. I'll give WD40 a try - does that work best in the
evening? :-)

I have just replaced my grotty 15mm isolation valves (screw to turn on/off
and constriction in middle) with quarter turn valves from B&Q which have a
long red handle and are full bore.

I did this for 2 reasons:
(1) Full bore seemed better than constricted.
(2) The isolation valves turned out to be harder to get to than I first
expected, especially with a screwdriver, so long red handles made everything
much easier.

Slightly concerned now after the comments about mains water pressure (valves
are on cold mains to handbasin and cistern, hot tank to handbasin), but they
will spend 99% of their time fully open.

So there are water isolation valves which are quarter turn, much like the
isolation valve on my gas meter.

HTH
Dave R