Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O Greg O is offline

Default OT- Mandatory Overtime

"Roger_N" wrote in message
m...
I may possibly be facing a situation of getting fired because I only work
48 - 56 hours per week. I was wondering how that works out with
unemployment?

My employer cut employee wages and benefits somewhere around 25%, many
left and those that didn't are being scheduled for overtime. We have a
points system where you get points when you call off or don't show for
work, after so many points, you can be fired.

I just can't see the government giving out unemployment to people that got
fired for not showing up for work when they are working 48, 56, or more
hours per week.

Anyone here faced this?

RogerN

Like others have said, it sounds like time to move on.
I worked as a salary employee years ago. I was told when hired that I was
expected to work 40-45 hours a week, plus any emergencies. No problem, I had
been doing it for years like that. After a couple years of management
dumping more and more work on me I had enough. The boss would bitch at me if
I was 5 minutes late, but it did not mater that I was working past midnight
the day before! I pulled in the reins, and went back to the original
agreement where I was told to work 40-45 hours a week, and I let the work
pile up! Management bitched, and I said hire more help! Finally a competitor
offered me a job doing similar work, at almost twice the pay, plus bonuses!
When I turned in my time the could not believe I would leave after how nice
they had been to me over the past three years! The fun thing was I went out
and pulled a great percentage of their customers over to the competitor and
got paid nicely for it! I would like to think it was because of me, but
within 5 years the old company was gone. I think they were headed that way
anyway!
Greg