Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stephen Young Stephen Young is offline

Default OT- Mandatory Overtime

Rob Fraser wrote:
\\

I'd save a few bucks and hunker down as Pete said and get the hell out of
there. Sounds like a company with cancer. If the mass exodus and pay cut did
not open the controllers eyes expect to see worse things coming. Also you
only live once those hours are for a 18 year old. There is plenty of work
out there. You may be in a different attire (Heck, I did it) You sound like
you are in a rock/hardplace situation. Can you provide more detail on the
state and nature of the business? I have a client who is a labor lawyer who
is a chatter-box and he is always in my shop. I wish you the best in the
tough times you are facing and I hope it turns quickly for you. I'd tell
them I'm interviewing too.... If the ship is sinking at least let them know
your headed for a life raft.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

Here in Michigan the economy is extremely bad. I work maintenance for a
company that makes home building supplies for both new homes &
remodeling. They keep telling us how they are continually making more
money & setting record profits even in this horrible economy
(countrywide, people are not building new but reworking old property).
Since the economy is SO bad here people are just glad to be working.
With this situation, this company has chosen to eliminate overtime yet
remain open 24/7 with 3 shifts. One department never shuts down. These
people are required to work a continually changing work week so they
only work 40 hours (so no overtime) for a calendar week yet they work
weekends regularly. Maintenance has to work weekdays and 1 guy (rotating
schedules to balance workloads) works the weekend to support the one
department that's always running. We were getting overtime to work the
weekend but this one department cried so now we don't get weekend
overtime unless we work more than 40 hours that week (the law). They
keep our hours down by making us take Monday off the week of our
scheduled weekend.
Just because companies keep screwing their employees doesn't mean
they're a sinking ship or full of cancer.
I've been saying forever: In corporate America it's all about greed.