Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default OT- Mandatory Overtime

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 09:25:26 -0500, Roger_N wrote:

I may possibly be facing a situation of getting fired because I only
work 48 - 56 hours per week. I was wondering how that works out with
unemployment?

My employer cut employee wages and benefits somewhere around 25%, many
left and those that didn't are being scheduled for overtime. We have a
points system where you get points when you call off or don't show for
work, after so many points, you can be fired.

I just can't see the government giving out unemployment to people that
got fired for not showing up for work when they are working 48, 56, or
more hours per week.

Anyone here faced this?

RogerN

Whether they can do this is depends on where you live. Check with your
state's labor division to see what the law of (your) land is, then try to
find out how well that law is actually enforced.

I could see this as something that would be abhorrent in a blue state
like California or New York, but perfectly acceptable in a red state like
Arizona or Mississippi.

And, as one of the other fellows mentioned -- hunker down, save your
money, look for work if you can, and unless they announce huge raises
soon, get the heck out of there when you can afford it.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com