Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Buying a Foreclosure Property

Duff2 wrote:
They are auctioning off some houses at foreclosure at the courthouse.
A couple are in my neighborhood and seem like good fixer uppers. Any
advice on whether to participate and bid on one of these?

Yeah...be dam'ed wary. There can be all kinds of other (besides tax)
unsatisfied liens, unproved title issues, even possible environmental or
other things you can get into.

While sometimes it's as simple as a single homeowner in default, usually
by the time it gets to a tax sale there are a myriad of problems that
have built up over a long period of time and may be extremely convoluted.

I'd strongly suggest consulting local attorney and some real estate
folks in the area who have some experience for some help protecting
yourself rather than just jumping in on your own.