Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Going back to candlelight

Marissa Payton wrote:

"Paul M. Eldridge" wrote:

Maybe so. I don't have a crystal ball so I can't predict the future,
but I can correct falsehoods. The claim was made that Congress had
already passed legislation outlawing these lamps (or is intending to
do so) and that's simply not the case.

Around December 2007, US Congress passed an energy bill that, inter alia,
included the phase out of incandescent 100 Watt light bulbs by 2012. I
expect, but can't predict with absolute certainty, that more flavors of
incandescent bulbs will be phased out in the relatively near future.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/busin...e-know-it.html

That link is to a news story interpretation, not the text of the 2007
"Energy Independence and Security Act" itself.

As near as I can tell from reading the Act (and I haven't studied it in
absolute detail), Sec. 321 which is the section on residential lighting
only says incandescent bulbs shall meet stated energy efficiencies, not
that they are prohibited. The popular press has made the leap that this
will effectively ban the incandescent, but that isn't necessarily so,
and afaict it isn't the language or even the actual intent of the
legislation passed.

The full text is available here

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...6enr.txt .pdf

As is so often that case, I think this is another case where lack of
understanding by the writer leads to misinformation in the story.