Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
woodman woodman is offline

Default Questions about Powermatic 3520B

I got mine from Osolnik--best price and great service. The 18" extension
with tool post extension will allow you to turn a bowl up to 38" in
diameter. And you're correct that it mounts either parallel with the ways
to extend the spindle capacity to 36" or below the ways to extend the bowl
capacity by sliding the headstock to the end and mounting the extension and
tool rest on the ways extension below. Normally the tool rest provides
10.5" over the ways to the center of the headstock. By adding the 9" tool
post extension to the ways your distance to the center of the headstock is
19.5".

Chuck

"JoanD'arcRoast" wrote in message
. ..
I'm seriously considering getting this lathe with my tax refund money.

Question #1: Who has the best price on this lathe? Osolnik seems to
sell it for $2526.98. There is currently a $100 rebate available from
Powermatic, which if applicable, would bring it down a C-note. Can
anyone do better?

Question #2: There is a "bowl extension bed" that comes with a tool
rest riser; does anyone know how much extra swing that creates? I can
find no pictures of it mounted in place -- I'm guessing it bolts down
lower than the main bed the same amount that the riser raises the tool
rest... Anyone have some dimensions on this accessory, or some links?

thanks,
-j