Bill Wallace

Default Questions on weight-closed fencegate

I can propose a "different" solution, not a spring or weight, that
works pretty slick. We call it a ramp hinge. It involves making your
own hinges out of pipe sections. If the barrels of the hinges are cut
in a bias where they meet, the gate rises slightly as it opens and
rides back down to level, which closes it when released.

If this is hard to envision, just imagime when you cut the pipe to
make the two hinge barrels you cut it on your miter saw at say 20
degrees.

Just an idea. I've used it on large metal gates for years without a
hitch.

Dan wrote in message . ..
I'm having trouble doing some research on a weight-operated gate closing
system. It's either because I don't know the right keywords or there just
isn't much stuff out there.

I just put up a short section of cedar fence, about 44 inches high, with
a gate, so the dogs won't run into the neighbor's yard every time something
moves. The gate is about 39 inches and I want to try using a weight on a
cable to close it instead of a spring. Just to be different, I guess, but
if it works it wouldn't slam the gate shut like a spring would. I saw
something like it on Norm's show some time back. Does anyone know of any
gates that use a weight on a chain or cable to pull it shut? I'm still
going to give it a try but maybe I can save myself a little
experimentation.

Thanks,
Dan