Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Surprising increase in truck MPG

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:16:04 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:27:46 -0400
"Ed Huntress" wrote:
Haven't tried it too much
faster, there are no roads in Michigan's U.P that are over 55 MPH.
Like you mentioned, aerodynamics of a barn door.

Yike, it used to be 70 or maybe 75 in some parts of the UP. But gas
was 36 cents/gallon then. d8-)

It's 65 here in NJ. Does anyone stick to the 55 mph limit up there?

--
Ed Huntress

Hi Ed.. the only road in da U.P. that's over 55 is 60 miles of I75
from St. Ignace to the Soo. But I never get that far east. If I drive
south I can hit 41 just north of Green Bay, I think that is 65 or 70.

Does anyone stick to 55? Nah.

You know Ed, this is a part of Michigan (the Keweenaw) that most folks
downstate don't realize is here. LOL

Well, in the middle of winter, it almost isn't. g At one point, Copper
Harbor had the highest average snowfall in the continental US.

The Army's arctic test lab was on the Keweenaw back in the '60s,
don't know if that's still true. Oooh, Toivo, dey get a LOT of snow!
I recall mornings in Hancock when the only evidence I could find re
the location of my VW was the radio aerial sticking above the snow.

On a recent visit to the U.P. I found that folks there don't
ordinarily speak Yooper as they once did. I asked a friendly young
college-age woman in a coffee shop in Marquette about that. She
laughed and gave me an earfull of Yooper. Made my day!

Ed, you surely know that the proper pronunciation is "Gop-per
Harpor"...

And that if you ask if there are any snowshoe rabbits this year, the answer
is "a blue million of 'em." g

Yoop...yoop...yooper, eh? I attribute the heart attack I had last year to
eating too many pasties in the '60s and '70s.

Gunner is a Yooper. But I think he's from Escanaba, which is almost part of
the US.

--
Ed Huntress