Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Dyrkacz. Gary Dyrkacz. is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton Engine Problem

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:00:24 -0500, dpb wrote:

Manjo wrote:
I have a leaf blower that uses a 5 hp B&S "L" head engine. ...

The leaf blower was starting to run poorly last fall. This spring it
started right up, but after4-5 seconds after running smoothly at
proper speed, it will slowly loose rpms and finally stop after 15-20
seconds.

I have cleaned the pick-up tube, replaced the carburetor diaphragm
fuel pump along with the gaskets between the carb and the fuel tank,
and the gasket between the carb and the engine. I've also
disconnected the engine ground wire that normally kills the engine
when the throttle is tuned full off. But after doing all this the
engine still will not stay running for more than 30 - 40 seconds.

Thanks in advance for any tips, suggestions, or coments.

I've not read the rest of the thread but noted you were apparently still
searching --

Anybody suggested checking the exhaust screen (I'm assuming it has one)
for C deposits? Sounds like it could be clogged w/ buildup which will
cause such symptoms...

How about checking around the head gasket for leaks. I had a lawnmower
engine that exhibited a similar problem.