Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Help with blocked plumbing

Jim wrote:

Have you taken up the inspection cover in your garden?

Did lift it but didn't get a chance to rod it. The pipe does run in the
general direction of the sink/shower waste but the cover is upstream of it.
I'll do some explority poking tomorrow.

Was it blocked then - I assume not?

I did stick a drain rod down the WC waste, though I can only get 1 rod
length before if gets stuck, however not sure if this is a blockage or a
bend in the pipe. Still can't get my head round how the sink and WC are
connected though if the wastes run in opposite directions ??

They will be connected somwhere along the line, and being as they both
seem to be blocked, then it is likely to be a blockage within 10 feet of
the toilet. I'd suspect a blocakge somewhere between the manhole cover
and the toilet.
Get up all the manhole covers, and see what is there.If you've got a
hosepipe long enough, turn it on full, and force it up the soil pipe,
against the flow, from the manhole cover, as far as possible, then see
what appears.
IME, where there is a 'T' junction in the sewer pipe, then a manhole
cover, or rodding point is also there, so if need be, you can rod the
errant branch to clear it if the hosepipe doesnt work.
Alan.