Posted to misc.consumers.house
krw[_3_] krw[_3_] is offline

Default Thanks everyone

In article ,
says...
Thanks so much for all the advice, Thomas, Keith, and Stan, and if
I've left anyone out, I deeply apologize. Just wanted to tell you all
what we've decided. As everyone said, we've decided to pass on this
house. If someday they come back with a better price, maybe we'll
consider this house again. We were sort of leaning toward walking away
anyway; your kind, thoughtful and wise advice confirmed what we were
already thinking, and gave us confidence to move on.

Good. Buying a house is worrying enough. You don't need to add
more to it. It did sound fishy.

BTW, to answer krw's question, the buyer's agent put in the bid WITH
our authorization. He just put it in too slow and lost the deal for us.

That happens. I lost one earlier this year that way, but wouldn't
have gotten it anyway. It was a bank-owned property and I wasn't
going to bid the asking price anyway (though it was likely worth
it).

Also, the foreclosures and the buyer's agent are 2 different issues.
We were thinking of looking at foreclosures, but there are a lot of
problems with them, including with the lien and title.

There shouldn't be any problems. That's what you pay a lawyer for.

We're searching
on the Net to find houses; no realtor would want to work with us to do
that, because we just have too many G-D requirements.

We don't really want the agent to either. We don't pay the agent
for that.

We have worked
with a couple of different buyer's agents (both recommended by National
Assoc of Exclusive Buyer's Agents); the first put in the bid too slow,
and the second named a bid that was too high for us.

*YOU* name the bid. The agent may suggest a bid, but you're the one
buying. An agent tried that with my brother and just about lost
them a deal. He told them that if they didn't submit his bid he'd
have their license. They did, and he got the house.

And, I understand
about the seller paying. We wanted the first buyer's agent to kick back
(to us) 1.5% of his 3% commission (because all we needed him for was to
submit the bid and help us with the contract at closing). Sorry, I
just got a little lazy there.

You can want all you want, but you get what you pay for.

To answer Thomas' earlier question as to who Pulte has a good rep with,
they've won the J.D. Power Home Builders' survey for 6 - 7 years
running. Also, the second buyer's agent once told us that during the
last recession, every builder skimped on materials. We wonder if it's
happening again.

Could be. They're not in business to lose money, though it's hard
to see how they're making any money now. The area we're looking in
has tons of new builds in our price range (which is pretty wide).
Some have been on the market for over a year, so whenever we can get
our butts out there we should have good hunting. ;-)

If any other questions are left unanswered, or if anyone can answer my
question in the previous paragraph, please feel free to post.

--
Keith