Dick on the James

Default Questions on weight-closed fencegate

Dan wrote in message . ..
I'm having trouble doing some research on a weight-operated gate closing
system. It's either because I don't know the right keywords or there just
isn't much stuff out there.

Dan,
I have a non-pulley version of a weight-closed gate. My gate is very
'Williamsburgy', about 48" high and 36" wide, made of 5/4 boards and
with heavy iron strap hinges. The closer is an iron 'cannonball'
about 3-1/2" diameter, hung by an attached eye to a chain. The chain
is affixed to the gate 36" above grade, about 24" from the hinge side
of the gate and the other end to a 4x4 post 16" high sunk vertically
in the ground. Note that the post is offset to the opposite side of
the hingepost from the gate and about 20" away from the fence. IMO a
chain would be more flexible than a cable and have more visual appeal
if you wish not to use a pulley. My gate closes either slowly with no
sound or with a small thump depending on its state of lubrication. It
can open easily a little past 90* to the fence line. There is no
latch, only a stop block on the strike post.
Plan View:

hingepost O//////////////gate////////////////O strikepost
[------16"-----][-----------24"----------+
1 +
1 +
20" +
1 ** weight about 1/3 along the chain from the post
1 +
O chainpost

Have a look here for a chain and ball closer
http://www.williamsburgmarketplace.c...e.asp?MGID=430
and here for a picture
http://www.brassgallery.com/product.html?t_q=3579

Good luck,