Posted to alt.home.repair
headware headware is offline

Default Bathtub Grout vs. Caulking

On Apr 19, 8:40 pm, Norminn wrote:
clipped

Thanks for the reply. There appears to be a mix of grout and caulk
already. I'm not sure if the previous person put caulking on top of
the grout or tried to fill holes in the grout with caulk or what. So I
guess it might be too late for the whole not mixing grout and caulking
thing you mentioned. Are you saying that once I use caulking I will
never be able to remove it and replace it with grout should I be so
inclined? Why is that? Does the caulking leave some sort of residue
behind that makes grouting impossible?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,
Dont listen to Joe. He is either yanking your chain or a clueless
dolt. Norminn got it exactly right.
Bubba

TY. I forgot to mention one important point, learned from doing it the
wrong way several
times.........Lots of folks can run a bead of caulk or a paint brush in
a nice straight line. I
cannot do either. When I caulk, I put down painters tape along where I
want the edge to be.
Push the caulk gun forward to put the caulk on the line, with the tip
trimmed to about the width
of the caulk line from one tape edge to the corner of the gap. Sounds
nuts, but it is just a rough
est. of how large you want the bead to be. Just put it down fast.
Practice won't hurt. When
the caulk is on, I run my finger down the caulk line to form a smooth,
concave line with tapers
to each edge of the tape. Pull up the tape. Let it set. Dampen your
finger to do it however
you like; water is good ) By getting the caulk line concave and
perfectly smoothe, there are
no ruts or gullies to trap water or soap scum and grow more mildew.

Bubba & Norman,

Thanks for all the help. I had already planned on using the tape
technique you mentioned. After speaking to someone at Lowe's, it would
appear that the caulk used in the tub was an acrylic caulk containing
sand. I guess the grittiness of the sand made me think it was grout. I
bought some more of that stuff but I also have silicone caulk as well;
maybe I'll use the silicone instead. So far, the toughest thing has
been getting old caulk out of there. It's pretty hard and wedged in
the pretty tightly in some spots. I use some caulk remover to soften
it up but it had mixed results. Just apply more elbow grease right?

Dave