Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Is recession good for commercial electronic repair ?

"boardjunkie" wrote in message
On Apr 18, 8:44 pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
It was a fairly 'new' tube as in 8 years or so, but an original Marshall
factory fit.

By new production I meant anything Russian, China, etc. made these
days since tube production started shutting down in the 70s. The
Slovak made "JJ" branded pwr tubes are very robust. I'll normally use
them unless a customer specifies otherwise.

As far as you could see looking through the glass, it was a
'genuine' EL34 pentode, rather than a 6L6 look-alike beam tetrode
masquerading as an EL34.

That would be a 6CA7. Some ppl prefer the 6CA7 to EL34s in Mar$halls.
They're less "furry" sounding, kinda like a KT88's younger sibling.
Original Sylvania 6CA7s can bring impressive money these days for NOS.

It was a genuine EL34 as in that's what it's marked, but not all tubes
marked EL34 are actually that inside, so I've read, although I don't usually
look that close, when I replace them. An article that I saw on Wiki a while
back, said that they were quite often actually beam tetrode electrode
assemblies, not genuine pentodes with a wire suppressor grid, even though
they were marked "EL34", so I guess that some 6CA7's might turn up marked as
EL34s. Just dug it out the trash to have a look, and there's no place of
origin on it, but I would guess that it's an eastern bloc job rather than a
Chinee.

Arfa