Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Surprising increase in truck MPG

RCM only

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:02:24 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
clifto quickly quoth:

jim wrote:
Studies in fleet vehicles have consistently shown that adding 10% alcohol
to gasoline INCREASES mpg by about 3 to 5 percent. It is also well known
that the addition of alcohol to gasoline results in higher octane and in
more complete combustion of the fuel than gasoline alone. Which explains
why energy content calculations mean nothing.

Cite.

Yeah, I'd like to see that, too. In every report I've read, MPG goes
down with ethanol. In every physical test I've done with my own
vehicles, MPG goes down by at least 10%.

--
The only difference between a rut and a grave...is in their dimensions.
-- Ellen Glasglow