Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Bolting a trailer and welding?

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:21:05 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Apr 18, 1:48Â*pm, clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:27:04 -0700 (PDT), stryped

3.) If this trialer weights almost 2000 lbs, will it need brakes?

It will need brakes FOR SURE.
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

I think I meant 1000 lbs. I guess it would still need brakes.

General rule of thumb.
If the loaded trailer ways over 2000 lbs OR more than 50% of the empty
towing vehicle weight, you need brakes.
To tow without them is foolhardy under those conditions.

When I towed the 8 foot "Rainbow" tent trailer behind the Vauxhall HC
(Firenza) power was never a problem, the trailer was less than half
the weight of the rather light car (just) and there was many a time I
wished I had brakes on the trailer. Brakes on the car were more than
adequate - I had oversized (extra wide) Radial T/As on and could slide
all 4 with no problem - and did several times trying to stop the
trailer quickly. A car that short has very little directional
stability when the rear wheels come loose with a trailer behind!!!!!!!