Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected][_2_] treenoakio@googlemail.com[_2_] is offline

Default Quality of garage door fitting?

On 18 Apr, 18:44, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
was thinking very hard :

Hi, a local firm recently came and fitted me an electric roller door
on my garage. It's set further back than the original and where this
has exposed concrete block work in the door opening, timber boards
have been used to cover. I noticed that the boards were plain
untreated timber as they were being put in. Then they were masticed at
the edges and the exposed face was painted with woodstain. They are
external to the door.

Most of these doors can be fitted inside, outside or across the door
opening. Did you ask them to fit it inside to give a wider opening?

Yes, I did but it's a fairly standard practice and it should still
have been done properly.

I know this is poor workmanship but is it actually against some kind
of regulations for a commercial firm to use these practices?

They are professionals, you have the right to expect a professional
result.

I think you're right. The fitters told me that they used to cable from
the Consumer Unit but not any more.
They said the boss told them to try to convince customers that
extension leads are OK. They also claimed that customers usually
accept this.
I find that difficult to believe, unless most customers get charged
considerably less than £2000.00

I'm already in dispute with the company for their attempting to get
away with powering the door by means of an extension lead, trailed
from the opposite corner of the garage. There is a consumer unit
servicing the house right next to the door, which was ignored.

No doubt they have never heard of Part P, so the idea was simply to
save themselves time and trouble. Insist it is done properly and in
compliance with Part P.

I think they are aware of it but find it an inconvenience. Apparently
the boss is a sparks and will eventually be coming around to do the
right thing, reluctantly it seems

This is a 2,000 quid job, or just under. I phoned the firm up and told
them if I'd wanted a d-i-y job I'd've bought the door from eBay for
700 quid and fitted it myself. The only thing that stopped me doing
this was because it was an insurance job.

Seems excessive, even for an insurance job. Could you you indicate to
the insurco that you are in dispute with the installer over an
unsatisfactory installation and could they without payment for the time
being until it is resolved?

The insurance people have agreed to the job at that price in principle
and are just waiting for a receipt from the supplier before they pay
out.
If I can manage to get a decently finished job, perhaps we'll all end
up happy.
Roll on.
--
Regards,