Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Disabling tap function in synaptics touchpad

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Since I'm not about to tear my nice identical keyboard to pieces to find
out, but since you probably have ;-) could you list out any part numbers
of the chips & touch sensor, or better put some good resolution pictures
on a blog somewhere?

It's very possible that it's programming code in firmware that needs
changing, and it's also very probable that the CPU device used is NOT
reprogramable and might even have be programmed in such a way that reading
out the code and hacking changes to write to another device might be
difficult.

On the other hand, if the synaptics OEM touch sensor is connected to the
keyboard CPU chip using a standard (PS/2?) interface you may be able to
hack your own programmed microcontroller (PIC?) inbetween it and the CPU
chip, doing your own custom initialisation after the CPU has done its
default?

There seems to be a bit of information on the synaptics web site at a low
level (mainy for driver writers) that might help if you feel inclined to
take on this hacking job. Certainly an interesting project if you have
time/$$/patience to spare. :-)

--
Adrian C

Adrian - I have taken the keyboard apart a couple times (screws under the
stick on rubber feet & center label, don't you hate that? ;-) I tried
disconnecting the 5 leads that run from the touchpad to the other main PCB,
one at a time, on the outside chance severing any would disable the tap,
didn't really expect it to work, but I thought I try it. No luck. of
course. Makes sense, I'm sure by the time the "left click" signal has left
the touchpad itself, there's no way to distinguish whether its from the pad
or the button.

Does seem like a firmware solution is the only way.

I looked on the Synaptics site for a driver, which I dl'd to no avail, but
didn't really poke around there much more, didn't expect them to have any
technical info to speak of. They seemed to say "If this driver doesn't do
it for you, don't bother us, call the manufacturer". I'll go back there &
look some more.

I'm not home right now, but later I'll see if I can get a decent pic of the
interior to post on a hosting page.

Thanks for the ideas.

Dan