Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Quality of garage door fitting?

wrote:
Hi, a local firm recently came and fitted me an electric roller door
on my garage. It's set further back than the original and where this
has exposed concrete block work in the door opening, timber boards
have been used to cover. I noticed that the boards were plain
untreated timber as they were being put in. Then they were masticed at
the edges and the exposed face was painted with woodstain. They are
external to the door.

I know this is poor workmanship but is it actually against some kind
of regulations for a commercial firm to use these practices?

I'm already in dispute with the company for their attempting to get
away with powering the door by means of an extension lead, trailed
from the opposite corner of the garage. There is a consumer unit
servicing the house right next to the door, which was ignored.

This is a 2,000 quid job, or just under. I phoned the firm up and told
them if I'd wanted a d-i-y job I'd've bought the door from eBay for
700 quid and fitted it myself. The only thing that stopped me doing
this was because it was an insurance job.

I think that I would be in touch with the insurance company.

Can anyone confirm that anyone doing such electrical work would require
Part P? If so, you might be able to chase them up through that route.

--
Rod

onset.