Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default testing a vacuum pump

the price he is quoting you is WAY to high for a used untested pump - to
prove my point, refer to my web site (wbnoble.com) and you can see what I
charge for pumps that are tested and ready to use. I have one 220V dual
piston pump that is not listed - I keep forgetting to take a photo - but it
is tested and working (and a very nice pump with silencing mounts - very
quiet) - that pump would be $70 from me..

that said, when I am buying used pumps, untested, I pay $15 to $25 depending
on the pump, rarely a bit more. When I'm selling they are $35 to $300,
again depending on the pump - but they are tested when I sell them. The
dead ones are a LOT cheaper (ok, want a dead pump for $5 plus shipping? -
needs some new ball bearings)

so, if you are going to be paying $70, you can get them tested from me, and
maybe from other guys, so don't take a risk at that price.

if you get a price in the proper range, test that the pump turns freely - if
so, it is either OK or worst case will need new vanes (for about $60 for a
set).

"william kossack" wrote in message
. ..
I'm thinking of buy a used vacuum pump.

Gast 0523 but wired for 220. A big problem is that the seller does not
have 220 to show me that it works. The location is close enough to drive
to but far enough away that I don't want to drive back.

How can I test that the pump works?