Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Chimney repair: who do I believe?

On Apr 17, 4:41*pm, WPB wrote:
The
other thing that bothers me about the liner is that they have to knock
out all the bricks outside my house in order to put the liner in. *I'm
not thrilled with the thought of them breaking through a brick wall that
looks fine and has been in great shape since 1941.

I think you may have misunderstood. The whole point of a liner is to
repair the chimney without tearing into anything.

Dad had a small chimney fire about 3 years ago now that presumably
cracked the liner. The next fall we installed a stainless liner
ourselves. It slid down in from the top, in sections.

No bricks were harmed in the installation of the liner. In fact, he
had to add 1 row to the chimney.