Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT - As the noose tightens on the progun crowd...

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:18:57 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

You seem to have a preconceived notion of "security", which may well
be accurate in New Jersey and many other places.

Yeah, like most of the universe. g

Aren't you cute!

Keeping a gun in an unlocked closet, while you're not in the house? Yeah,
that's a high-risk situation, all right. It sounds like an engraved
invitation.

After (and if) accomplishing breakin to a house with secure portals,
good locks and a number of other recommended deterrents in a
neighborhood with excellent police presence, how much longer do you
think it would take a burglar to breach a locked closet or cabinet?
Once they're in, they're concealed to operate at will though they
don't know how much time they might have.

A gun cabinet or safe is definitely an invitation saying "GUNS IN
HERE!!!" A substantial cabinet with a keyed lock takes seconds to
breach. A residential locked closet would yield instantly to a hard
kick or a crowbar. A full-up 950-lb $2599 safe would certainly afford
more delay, and might be advisable in an area where house breakins
occur with any frequency. I don't have one on
my want list at the moment.

Don, I think the simple answer to this is that very few people would take
you seriously about all of this -- largely because it isn't true that
keeping guns in an unlocked closet can be compared with keeping them in a
gun safe, in terms of security. If you try to push that idea people will
just think you're off your rocker.

I had a visit by a police officer last summer for other reasons --
I'd reported a TV cable scam artist operating in the neighborhood. We
got to shooting the breeze -- for an hour! (Slow day for crime, I
guess.) In the course of conversation, he learned that I am a shooter.
He found our security situation to be quite sufficient. You are
welcome to have differing opinion from afar.

How can I have a differing opinion? You didn't tell us what your security
is. IIRC, the unlocked closet thing was a hypothetical you proposed, or it
was something about your friends or neighbors, or whatever.

--
Ed Huntress