Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Is recession good for commercial electronic repair ?

bz wrote in message
98.139...
"Arfa Daily" wrote in news:ShxNj.4786$DQ3.3407
@newsfe1-win.ntli.net:

So explain to me again how that is a better
deal for them ...

When I had my repair shop I found that 'if the repair cost less than 1/3
the cost of a new unit, they usually fixed it'.

On the other hand, if they could buy a new one for less than 3 times the
repair cost, I was going to end up owning a repaired set, even if they

said
'go ahead and fix it'.

I doubt that people have changed much since I closed my shop.

Note: often to 'estimate' the costs of the repair, it was necessary to fix
the danged set, and then 'unfix it' if they declined the repair but wanted
to pick up the broken set.
That was ONE of several reasons I closed my shop in the early 70's.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

For newcomers I always charge an upfront "exploration fee" of 8GBP/15USD to
15GBP/30USD, mainly dependent on size, and get back to them by phone or
email with some sort of quote for repair, if its a diagnostic repair rather
than replacing a mains switch type repair. I can never give a quote ,
unseen, inside the kit.
It avoids total timewasters and gives them a chance to drop out at an earkly
stage, but I've not wasted the time of getting inside, etc.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England