Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default combi boilers

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:29:06 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be Ed
Sirett wrote this:-

Whenever someone asks about gas, they seem to be politely reminded that
if they don't know, they shouldn't touch.

I disagree they are usually told: You may if you are competent.
But if you need to ask if you need to ask very basic stuff about gas
fitting then you are probably not competent.

Seconded. Some people do tend to stamp their foot if they are not
given a free remedial course on the basics. The information they are
after could nearly always be found with a search engine or in a
book.

It is similar to someone going to a discussion group on William
Shakespeare and asking what books he wrote. Anyone who asks such a
question would almost certainly be pointed, gently or otherwise
depending on circumstances, to a search engine or book to find out
about the plays he is reputed to have written.

Putting my grumpy old man hat on, I blame the education system. It
seems to be breeding more and more people incapable of, or too lazy
to, find things out for themselves. They remind me of baby birds,
sitting on their backsides, beaks open, squawking and expecting
mummy or daddy bird to ram worms down their throat.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh