Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Spray painting windows

geraldthehamster wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

You cold use straight cellulose - car primer stuff.

Its not too bad.

Then spray car paint on top.

Is this recommended for wood?

As mentioned in my previous post, this is becoming academic. I'm now
waiting for a reply from the joiner to my list of "issues" with these
windows. The tenons that hold the frame together are either too small
(gaps) or too big (splintering the wood). There are therefore screws
where screws shouldn't be needed. The profiles on the insides of the
sashes are damaged at the ends (presumably where they've come off the
machine). Generally the finish is poor and raggedy. At least 2 of the
sashes are slightly warped. There are cracks in the ends of the sill -
admittedly I'd be cutting those bits off, but this is indicative of
the poor quality of the timber.

As it's hard to see how any of this can be rectified, I'm minded to
reject them altogether. Fortunately I've only paid him half of the
nearly two grand that they cost (2 casement windows, 2100 x 1000, four
sashes in each, flush fitting, opening in pairs).

For the moment I've just mentioned the defects in a text message and
am awaiting his response. Unless he comes up with a better suggestion,
I will be inviting him to collect them, on return of my deposit. I'm
glad I didn't tell him to take them away when he delivered them, or
I'd be a grand down with no windows to bargain with.

Ah well. Will see how it pans out. Does anyone have any opinions on
this sad situation?

Regards
Richard

The ragged finish suggests the timber wasn't dry enough when it was
machined. Are these softwood windows? What was the spec regarding the
timber they would use?