Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Disabling tap function in synaptics touchpad

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news2tNj.6251$nT1.4847@trndny09...
A bit of piezo somewhere inside , you can remove ?

That's not how they work, they're capacitive, and the tap function is
implemented in software using the same sensing grid that measures the
position of your finger.

Thanks for the replies. I gathered from what I'd read that the mouse
movement was capacitive, but I thought perhaps the tap portion was sensed by
something else which might be eliminated.
There may be a firmware avenue to this, but since the only software involved
is the basic MS keyboard & mouse driver, there doesn't appear to be a way to
get to/modify/replace the firmware, if such a replacement was even
available. I've also tried installing the generic Synaptics touchpad driver
for XP, but since the keyboard apparently just appears as a basic
mouse/keyboard once its signals get to the PC, the software doesn't detect
the presence of a touchpad.

Dan