Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Disabling tap function in synaptics touchpad

"Dan" wrote in message
I recently bought an Adesso RF wireless keypad,
http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=281 . Although its
claims of 100' range are wildly optimistic, the keyboard generally works
well. The main complaint I have is with its Synaptic brand touchpad.
Like
those on laptops, the touchpad has a function where tapping the pad
activates a left mouse button click. Unlike most laptops I've seen
however, this function, which I HATE, as I constantly find I'm
inadvertently
activating it, cannot be turned off in software. In fact, the keyboard
comes with no drivers, it "plug & plays" into existing MS drivers. So I'm
wondering if there is a way to electronically disable the tap function.
The
touchpad has a multilead chip, I'm guessing severing one of the leads
would
eliminate the tap, the question is which one. I'm guessing this being a
proprietary chip, there's no data sheet available. Anyone have any ideas?
Adesso simply replies "no software solution".

TIA

Dan

The chip is undoubtably a microcontroller of some sort, it's very unlikely
that any external modification you could do would disable the tap, it would
require a firmware change in the keyboard if no separate driver is used.