Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Pete Verdon Pete Verdon is offline

Default Planned replacement garage near listed building...advice requiredplease

jim wrote:
On 16 Apr, 15:10, " wrote:

It sound like you're free of planning constraints - however it may be
worth making a written enquiry to your local planning dept so that you
have written confirmation that it's not necessary.

Didn't I read in NGs about some legal "estoppel" that makes such
"written confirmation" worthless in law (i.e. should one ever need
it!)?

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but my understanding of promissory estoppel
from a law course way back when would if anything be the other way
round. If something would normally apply, but they tell you (even
"unofficially") that you can ignore it, then you're entitled to rely on
that.

I don't remember it being that simple when I was being taught it, so
there's probably much more that I've forgotten.

Pete