Posted to uk.d-i-y
geraldthehamster geraldthehamster is offline

Default Spray painting windows

On 16 Apr, 17:51, Stuart Noble
wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:
On Apr 16, 2:41 pm, Stuart Noble
wrote:

I can't see that spraying would be significantly faster than brushing
for 2 windows.
If the glass is smooth you just tosh the paint everywhere and clean up
with a window scraper. If it isn't, it's a tedious job whatever method
you use, and masking isn't always that effective.- Hide quoted text -

With respect you miss the point. The windows are new and loosely
assembled, and not installed. I will be removing the glazing, which is
only loosely fixed. I will be left with two windows each with four
hinged sashes with horizontal bars, and all the bits of beading, to
sand and paint. Several times.

Regards
Richard

You still have to weigh up the time to set up and clean up afterwards,
and the sanding will be the same whatever method. Primer/ undercoat is
thick, and not ideally suited to spraying. You can thin it but the
aggregate will either tend to settle out or it'll block the nozzle. OTOH
car paints are designed to be sprayed but they're not flexible enough
for wood IMO- Hide quoted text -

I now have another problem, in that having seen the windows in proper
daylight, I need to have serious words with the joiner about the
quality. As in possibly rejecting them altogether ...

Regards
Richard