Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
jim jim is offline

Default Planned replacement garage near listed building...advice requiredplease

We plan to demolish a decrepit flat-roofed double garage and some
smaller outbuildings and replace with a (better) larger garage with an
attached greenhouse all within the yard area of our *unlisted* house.
However our neighbour’s house *is listed*...

Reading "The Planning Game", (Dijksman 2007 Ed) - it appears I do not
need Planning Permission, as under PD rules, as long as:-

- the new structure is no nearer the highway than any existing part of
the house
(a bridleway runs adjacent to the house and yard so it's hard to see
how we could fall foul of that)

- no more than half the area of land around original house should be
covered
(the yard and garden come to more than enough to not fall foul here
either)

- the structure would be less than 4m ridge
(yes as currently envisaged)

(we plan to build the new structure no closer than 5m to existing
house to maintain PD rights)

So far would I be correct in my assumption that no PP is required as
long as above conditions are satisfied? Have I missed anything?

Does the presence of the Listed Building alter things? if so in what
way(s)?

Building Regs:-
As the garage is ultimately to be more than 30m2, if I understand
correctly, Building Regs come into it – is there any mileage in
building the thing in “less than 30m2” stages (garage 1, extend with
garage2, then add greenhouse)? Or any other “tricks of the trade” to
avoid BRegs?

Thanks for any help/pointers
JK