Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default combi boilers

Fred wrote:
Hello,

When I recently moved house, I kept my old house and rented it out.
It's my first experience as a landlord and things have not got off to
a good start ;(

Just before we left, the Glowworm combi boiler (model compact 100e)
packed-up and the cause was a bypass valve which had to be replaced by
a plumber for many pounds.

Today I had a phone call saying that now the CH works but not the HW.
I have phoned around a few plumbers from the Yellow pages and they all
seem to loose interest the minute I say "combi". Why is that? What is
so frightening about combi boilers?

A chap is going to visit this afternoon but he thinks it may be the
diverter valve and says it costs £190 for the part, plus £60 call out
plus £60 labour. Ouch!

I understand the boiler is discontinued. I don't know how old it is
exactly but it was there when I moved in in 2001, so at least 7 years
old. What is the life span of a boiler and since it seems to be
falling to pieces, would it be cheaper to rip it out and fit a new
one?

Whenever someone asks about gas, they seem to be politely reminded
that if they don't know, they shouldn't touch. I quite agree but how
can people learn if they don't ask questions? I have never worked on
gas and I don't intend to but I would like to learn a bit more so that
when the plumber says part x needs replacing for y pounds, it would be
nice to know what x does and whether it really needs replacing and
whether it really is worth y pounds. Where can I learn more?

Thanks very much in advance.

My impression is that combis are a landlord's nightmare. I'd get a new
model fitted and have it covered by insurance. £200 quid out of your
rental income every year but at least you don't have to get involved if
it breaks down.