Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default O.T. Step Potential ...

"msg" wrote in message
news:KZqdnXI3Eb3odZnVnZ2dnUVZ_umlnZ2d@cpinternet.. .
Arfa Daily wrote:

snip

Going back to the step potential question, thanks all for your thoughts.
You all seem to understand it pretty much as I (thought I) did. I think
that the concentric circles thing is just an attempt at simplification so
that it makes for an 'interesting' and understandable in principle
article in a company mag for general reading by everyone i.e. office
staff, managers, those in the field and so on. I think we'll settle on
there being a potential gradient between the downed cable's point of
contact with the ground, and the points around it where the land sinks
back to inert ground potential.

snip

Geoff,

You didn't answer my question from my previous reply: does the article
imply or depict "expanding" equipotential rings around the downed
cable over time, thus implying some electro-chemical effect that
makes the area more dangerous over time?

Michael

Sorry, no. The paragraph that I copied to the second post, is the entire
'technical' content of the article. It's only a half-pager of three
paragraphs, the first being

"Have you ever heard of ? ......."

and the third being

"so, should you find yourself in a situation ...... ..... here's how to

Apart from this, just the cg piccy of the crash-test dummy walking away from
the car with his feet planted firmly on two of the illustrated 'rings'.

The line that prompted all this was

"Each expanding concentric circle ..." See post with whole paragraph
to place this in context.

Arfa