Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Tennessee.Tony@gmail.com is offline

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

On Apr 8, 9:41 pm, "C & E" wrote:
I just saw an Energy Star commercial which stated that a 'fridge built ten
years ago uses twice as much electricity as a new one. Does that sound like
a logical stat to you? I'll have to spend some time researching that when I
get time but it sounds a bit inflated to me.

I know I'm late here but what I find unbelievable is that ten years
ago they ran the same ads. That means a new energy star fridge of
today uses 1/4 the energy of a twenty year old fridge.

I did have one of those "watt wizards" on an old fridge long ago and
you could actually hear the motor make less noise as it was reducing
the energy to it. I think it worked by sensing the speed of the motor
and slowly cut back the power until it sensed the motor slowing down.
Todays motors are just barely strong enough to operate the
compressor. If you try to use a watt wizard on a newer fridge the
compressor motor will stall.

Tony