Posted to uk.d-i-y
Edward W. Thompson Edward W. Thompson is offline

Default cavity wall insulation

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:32:18 GMT, Fred
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:19:28 +0100, Paul Matthews
wrote:

I think his concern is the door knockers were the insulation equivalent of an
offer to tarmac a drive, and that they may drill a few holes, faff with a bit
of gear and fill the holes having done nothing in reality.

Exactly so. I cannot see inside the walls so I don't know if I've got
it already and if I have it done, how can I tell that they have done
it properly and completely?

The company was KHI. I only know this from their ID badges; I have had
no other documentation from them. This worried me; I was expecting a
card or a brochure or something. Google says they are based in
Nottingham. I have found one good review online and one bad one.

A chap called today and drilled just one hole. He did not have
anything as fancy as a camera; he had one of those "claw" things that
you use to pick up things you drop behind the washing machine. He said
he could not find anything inside. However, I was suspicious of his
choice of hole. He had the whole side of the house to drill but
drilled above the air brick behind the boiler. Am I being paranoid or
ignorant here or is it that he thought there might not be any near a
vent?

I will have to have to see if I can put something inside the (still
open) hole and see what I can find. Certainly nothing poured out but I
did think I saw one or two microscopic white "feathers" fall out.

I will see that my electricity company offers a similar scheme albeit
for £20 more. Perhaps I should use them instead; at least I know who
they are, though I expect they contract out the insulation work
anyway.

Thanks.

You may find your 'electricity company' sub contracts to 'KHI', they
certainly don't do the work themselves. Being 70 yrs plus I had the
cavity walls in my home insulated for 'free' through my 'energy
supplier'. It was KHI who did the job (I live in Nottingham).

As far as I could tell the work they did was fine and was followed up
some days later by an Inspector to view what was done and to ask
whether I was satisfied with the work and the conduct of those doing
it. I was.