Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default Did bad rivets cause sinking of Titanic

On 2008-04-15, spaco wrote:
This doesn't fit the scenario for wrought iron at all. Cast iron is
brittle for other reasons. The lower the carbon content, the less
brittle and work hardenable the material.

I do not think that Titanik's hull plates were cast iron, can anyone
clarify?

The hull plates were made of the new wonder product, steel.

Unfortunately, we were still working out the manufacturing processes for
steel at the time.

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C10/C.../aa022800a.htm

It was the best there was at the time, but there were some unforeseen
limitations. The process left it with Phosphorus levels 4 times modern
levels and sulfur twice as high.

Paul K. Dickman